Close Menu
Migrant Affairs
    Trending News

    EU Opens Contact with Taliban Over Migrant Returns

    October 20, 2025

    EU Strengthens Europol Role to Fight Migrant Smuggling and Trafficking

    September 26, 2025

    EU Border Policies Under Scrutiny After Deadly Migrant Shipwreck

    March 1, 2024

    EU Records Highest-Ever Number of Asylum Applications in 2023

    February 28, 2024

    Doctors Without Borders Condemn European Union Migration Policies

    February 24, 2024

    UK gets EU intelligence on human trafficking

    February 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Migrant Affairs
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • About
    • News
    • Features
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Imprint
    Migrant Affairs
    Home » Starmer to Move Migrants from Hotels to Military Barracks
    Top Posts

    Starmer to Move Migrants from Hotels to Military Barracks

    September 7, 2025Updated:September 7, 20253 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link WhatsApp
    UK migrants moved to military barracks
    Britain's Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood leaves after attending a cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street in central London on March 26, 2025 ahead of the Spring Budget Statement. (Photo by BENJAMIN CREMEL / AFP). Source: The European Conservative.
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link WhatsApp

    The UK government is preparing a new plan to deal with the rising number of illegal Channel crossings. Prime Minister Keir Starmer is set to move asylum seekers, particularly young men of military age, out of hotels and into disused army barracks. The policy, which is expected to be announced soon by Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood, is seen as a tougher approach to tackling the growing migrant crisis.

    Hotels across the country have been used to house thousands of migrants, but the rising costs and public concern have pushed the government to look for alternative accommodation. Disused military sites are now being prepared as holding centers, with ministers saying this will reduce pressure on local communities and ease public spending.

    The move comes as the UK works on securing migrant return agreements with European countries. A deal with France is already in place, and discussions with Germany are said to be close to completion. These agreements are part of Starmer’s wider effort to send back migrants who cross the Channel illegally, while also preventing future arrivals.

    Shabana Mahmood, who was appointed as Home Secretary during Starmer’s recent reshuffle, faces major challenges in her new role. On her very first day in office, more than 1,000 migrants crossed the Channel, highlighting the scale of the problem. So far, numbers of small boat crossings have already reached record levels under Starmer’s leadership.

    Sources close to Mahmood told the press that her approach will be firm and direct, with “nothing off the table.” The government has made it clear that bringing down net migration and tackling illegal entry into the UK are among its top priorities. Officials say this is also one of the main concerns for the British public, adding more pressure on the new Home Secretary to act quickly.

    The decision to move migrants into barracks has already sparked debate. Supporters argue it is necessary to cut costs and prevent hotels from being overrun, while critics warn that placing vulnerable asylum seekers in military sites could worsen their conditions and mental health. The government, however, insists the sites will be safe and properly managed.

    Prime Minister Starmer has promised to balance firm border control with fair treatment for genuine asylum seekers. His government says people who qualify for protection will still receive support, but those arriving illegally will face stricter rules and quicker returns to safe countries. The aim is to discourage dangerous Channel crossings while keeping public trust in the immigration system.

    As the crisis continues, the success of this new policy will depend on whether it reduces the record-breaking small boat arrivals. For now, the plan marks a clear shift in how the UK government intends to deal with illegal migration, sending a strong signal that tougher measures are on the way.

    asylum seekers accommodation Channel crossings UK Immigration Keir Starmer asylum policy migrant migrants migrants in army barracks migration Shabana Mahmood Home Secretary UK immigration policy UK migrant crisis
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link WhatsApp

    Related Posts

    South Africa Anti-Migrant Group Sets September 30 Deadline for Undocumented Foreigners

    August 17, 2026

    Nearly 100 Children Wrongly Detained as Adults Under UK-France Migration Scheme

    August 13, 2026

    Trump-Linked Law Firm Rejects $150 Million Contract to Represent Migrant Children

    August 13, 2026
    Top Posts

    Organizations Supporting Migrants and Refugees Worldwide

    The Impact of Social Media on Migrant Advocacy and Awareness

    Germany’s National Election 2025: Political Party Ideologies on Migration and Migrants

    Top Scholarships and Educational Opportunities for Migrants and Refugees in 2026

    Don't Miss

    Germany Seeks Resumption of Migrant Transfers to Italy and Greece Under New EU Asylum Rules

    August 10, 20264 Mins ReadBy RACHAEL ADEEGBE

    Germany has reportedly adopted a tougher position on the transfer of migrants between European Union…

    Read More

    Germany’s Top Court Orders Review of Afghan Visa Cases

    July 27, 2026

    German Court Jails Man for Seven Years Over Dangerous Migrant Smuggling Operations

    July 21, 2026

    Munich Airport to Build Dedicated Terminal for Migrant Deportations

    July 16, 2026

    Germany and Switzerland Arrest Five Suspected Members of Migrant Smuggling Network

    July 10, 2026

    German Citizen Arrested in Latvia Over Suspected Migrant Smuggling Near Belarus Border

    July 3, 2026
    RSS News Around
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • WhatsApp
    RSS More News
    • As drought hits Germany's harvest, will food prices rise?
    • German court convicts Ukrainian man over Russia parcel plot
    • Belgium wildfire: Rains help High Fens containment efforts
    • Hyrox: a global fitness sensation made in Germany
    • Germany: Bundeswehr troop numbers reach 13-year high
    Recent posts
    • Thousands of Migrants Remain Stranded in Ceuta as Aid Groups Warn of Humanitarian Crisis
    • Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued After Boat Sinks off Libya
    • Spain Accused of Ignoring Warnings Before Deadly Ceuta Migrant Surge
    • South Africa Anti-Migrant Group Sets September 30 Deadline for Undocumented Foreigners
    • Nearly 100 Children Wrongly Detained as Adults Under UK-France Migration Scheme
    About Us

    A news and information site documenting and sharing relevant and helpful stories and resources for and about Migrants.

    Email Us: info@migrantaffairs.info

    Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp
    Top Stories

    South Africa Anti-Migrant Group Sets September 30 Deadline for Undocumented Foreigners

    August 17, 2026

    Trump-Linked Law Firm Rejects $150 Million Contract to Represent Migrant Children

    August 13, 2026

    US Appeals Court Clears Way for Trump Administration to Fast-Track Deportations of Migrants

    August 11, 2026
    RSS Business News
    • Germany harvest drops as drought raises food price fears
    • Norway wealth fund sounds alarm on AI stock market bubble
    • EU waste packaging rules: Why small businesses are worried
    • How the Rhine drought threatens Germany's economic recovery
    • Why is Russia selling its gold?
    RSS Expat Jobs
    Migrant Affairs
    • Home
    • About
    • News
    • Features
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Imprint
    © 2026 Migrant Affairs

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.